Wednesday 19 October 2011

B6 + Calcium

B6 + Calcium by simon.anderson
B6 + Calcium, a photo by simon.anderson on Flickr.

Had a little fun in the kitchen today which included garlic,milk and off camera flash.
The background was some white paper which was lit by my Nikon sb600 at full power and a red gel.
I lit the garlic with 2x jessops 360 afd flashguns set 1/16 power placed level with the garlic and either side of my camera.
I set my camera on manual mode and at the fastest flash sync speed of 1/250 sec to try and freeze the action..
I experimented with the aperture for different results but stopped down to f/14 to help darken the red of the background.
My camera was on my manfrotto tripod and fired via cable release.
All three flashguns where fired off camera via my Yongnuo RF-602 trigger + recievers.
I was using a funnel to direct the milk onto the garlic but it wasn't working out how I imagined so I got rid of the funnel and kept tipping milk straight from the carton and firing the camera randomly.
Got loads of usable pictures some with more splashes and some with less but I liked the simplicity of this one with the milk in a vertical line.
Cleaned up the picture with spot removal then added a slight 's' curve for contrast.
Also the whites of the milk where a little dark and muddy so I selected just milk and garlic with the magic wand and brigthened it up with levels.
I finished off with some unsharp mask for detail.
The title is a combination of the vitamins contained in these photographic ingredients.
In garlic you get B6 and obviously calcium in milk.
The red lines on the underneath of the garlic is the red reflecting off the milk from the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment